Saturday, May 9, 2015

2nd entry for May 3, 2015




These are some 5-minute and 10-minute studies. As I tried to slow down and go slower with some more precise lines,  I was finding that Jason's musical performance was becoming a challenge. It was a little improv jazz-y, a little Chopin-ish and a little start/stop high/low volume like some Satie pieces. Jason's musicianship was strong, but listening to the music and drawing was puling my brain in two directions, and his work was a little too varied and had enough shift changes that I couldn't put it into the background. There was some nice industrial-sounding loops he was using, which I personally liked, but then surprise piano flourishes  would pierce their steady rhythms.

Drawing can be a kind of dance, and when dancing I do tend to tap out the beat of music, and his rhythms were not in sync with the movements I was trying to make on the page, which was slowing things down and becoming frustrating. I was respecting that Jason was looking out to the room and responding to his environment. Internally, I felt my drawing was getting weaker and less connected.
I found I was being reminded of the piano solo in Bowie's "Aladdin Sane" now and then.

These are all Pitt pen and ink washes on 18 x 24" sheets of Canson Recycled Sketch paper.

No comments: