Thursday, January 1, 2015

3rd entry for Nov 17, 2014

I stayed for the afternoon and built a bit on my ink wash underlayer experiment from the day before. India ink dries waterproof, which seals the paper. This time I tried using some Chinese ink, which remains water-soluble as an underlayer. (I also thought it might be a more bluish gray.)

I dropped the position of the Heliconian's Rose Window, and laid in some base values with ink on a pencil undersketch, and then continued with water-soluble graphite, Artgraf washes and some dry graphite pencil on top of that.
This is a 1.5 hour study, with a bit of later working. The Chinese ink I was using, an inexpensive Royal brand mix, was a warmer gray than I thought it would be, and the washes apply much less evenly than India ink, but I am liking how that worked out in this.

This and the one below are both on 18 x 24" Canson Montval watercolour paper, The lower one here is done using the same approach, but is a 25-minute study.



No comments: