Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Entry for July 5, 2014




On the Sunday I went to a new drawing studio, the ARC, Artists Resource Centre. I found it a roomy, light-washed and fairly uncluttered space, which uses mostly the natural north light from a big window. The studio is in one of the long-running downtown hard loft buildings on Adelaide near University. It, like many of the old remaining commercial buildings,  will probably be converted in a year or two, which is a real shame from a low-income artist standpoint.
Marlo was working, and these are all in the 30-minute range. The top teo ware watercolour pencil used dry on Strathmore series 400 paper. The lower two are water-soluble pencil and artgraf washes on 18 x 24" sheets of Canson Montval watercolour paper.
I like that I can draw in some background information and then wash it over to make it much softer and softer-focussed (and shade back over to bring back any elements I want to draw focus to, as well.)

No comments: