Tuesday, April 8, 2014

2nd entry for Mar 30, 2014



These are three 15-minute studies. all are Pitt pen on 18 x 24" paper. The top two are Canson XL Drawing paper. I often find it tricky to fit tall people on any size paper, but especially on the 18 x 24" paper, and that day was no exception, and Ben's legs have been a bit compressed here. Maybe on some level I am mentally calibrating the page dimensions to my own body scale.
I like the reclining drawing, but the standing one looked too precious, and I contnued to struggle with being true to Ben's face.
The drawing that morning wasn't terrible, but I felt it was one of the weaker outings I've personally had in a while,
The last one here is the same pen on Canson Recycled Sketch paper. I did it as a mostly blind contour drawing, and there's a better truth to it than the other ones I did that morning. I don't entirely like the look of it, but I recognize more Ben and less hypothetical description. Time to do a bit more of the blind drawing...

No comments: