Monday, April 7, 2014

1st entry for Mar 30, 2014




Drawing from life involves for me a navigating of the space between under-exercising and diminishing returns.
The former has been more the issue of late. The top study here is a 20-minute one of Ben from Feb 28; the only chance I had to sketch that night after a meeting. The other three of Ben were done a month later on the Sunday morning at the Daniels Spectrum.  It was only the 2nd chance I had to go drawing in three weeks, and I was getting rusty. These are three 10-minute studies- there were some others that just didn't work at all, particularly the heads. It was like I was drawing the idea of Bens head more than the fact of it, and lines just weren't coming easily.
These are all done with a Pitt calligraphy pen on 18 x 24" sheets of Canson Recycled Sketch paper.

No comments: