Tuesday, September 10, 2013

2nd entry for August 31, 2013






From the top, these are a pair of 10-minute studies, some 15-minute ones and another 10-minute one at the bottom.
All these are done on paper I had prepared by masking some areas and misting with india ink. All are done with a Pentel brushpen. The middle two also have some warm gray Copic marker.
The  fourth and last ones are on 18 x 24" sheets of Canson XL drawing paper, and the others are on 18 x 24" sheets of Canson Recycled Sketch paper.  For wetter media, I'm finding I prefer the slightly heavier XL Drawing paper. Ink spreads a little less, and a partial misting doesn't cause the paper to buckle, which can happen with the thinner Recycled Sketch paper; the areas that get dampened expand slightly, but the adjacent dry masked areas don't, so the paper can pucker right where they meet.
On this blog I present much of the figure study I do, to document the process and the ups and downs that can happen within one stretch of drawing. It would be great if everything worked out to full satisfaction, but that's not how it works, at least for me. I like the top two, and the horizontal banding works quite well on the lying-down figure.  The third from bottom is a little over-rendered in Jen's face. The drawing of her face in the sitting pose below it overwhelms the rest of the drawing, which presently has no chair rails, which doesn't work so well here. In more pure line drawings, economy of description in faces is a wise idea, but I am constantly tempted to put in a little more.
The standing figure worked well for me.

No comments: