Friday, July 12, 2013

3rd entry for July 2, 2013




These are some 10-minute studies also using the warm gray Copic gray scale markers and a Pitt medium black liner pen in places in the top one.
During the session with Meredith (June 21) I was using the broadest range of different value pens to date.   Both for speed and effect, I started thinking that having a reduced range of value steps spread between light and dark is probably better for me, so in these I was mostly using a 20%, 30%, 50% and 70% gray. I have a 90% that I held in reserve for things like Samantha's shadowed hair.
I'm used to coaxing a range of values from drawing tools, so in principle a 50% gray can be anything from 1% to 50% dark if used strategically enough, and 70% can add all but the darkest of the mid shadows.
The transitions are smoother with more in-between steps, but I'm starting to think that is something to be deployed strategically in places, as opposed to everywhere. Leaving some seams and joins visible may be more visually engaging than seamlessness in fast studies.

No comments: