Tuesday, July 30, 2013

1st entry for July 24. 2013






(These days, there's lots of opportunities for fast figure drawing, but not so many for longer work. Next week from Tuesday to Friday at the TSA I have a special 4-day course called "Figure Concepts", where we'll be working on extended poses daily, 10 AM to 5 PM. You can sign up here.)

I was back at the Art Bar on the Wednesday night, and Kit was working that evening. There are 2-minute studies, done with a Sakura Graphic pen on 18 x 24" sheets of cartridge paper.
I struggle with the thick lines of the Sakura pens- they telegraph every wobble and insecurity and there is no retracting or hiding the lines once drawn. While setting these down I'm usually feeling unhappy with most things about them as they are happening.  Later on reflection I find spontaneous things I like about quite a few of them. In fast studies it's best to turn off the inner judge and just be present and responding.

It takes at least a few minutes to get properly in my drawing groove. I think it's worth working with a drawing tool I have to wrestle with at the start of a session because it forces me to be present, and afterwards other materials I use feel freer and easier to use.

No comments: