Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Entry for May 24, 2013






On the Friday at the TSA's session, Ben was working.
I had a medium gray Copic and a light gray Prismacolour markers, plus a bunch of Sakura Grahic pens. I had an idea that the graphic crispness of marker was the element I was wanting, something kind of like a woodcut or a lithograph. I also thought that if I distressed a broad nib by ripping it up a bit I could get some more interesting brushy chance textures.
So I tried shredding a Sakura nib on coarse sandpaper, but it just gave a broader soft mushy end.
Like the Toons retro space session a couple of weeks earlier,  I used the very light gay for underdrawing, and black on top.
The top 10-minute study is on 18 x 24" bond paper, which was too absorbent.
The one below was also 10 minutes on bond, but with initial Nobel charcoal drawing and marker on top. The problem with that is it means effectively drawing the image twice, and 10 minutes is sitill on the short side for that. But you have to try. No magic for me there, though.
The next standing study is 15 minutes on Canson Recycled Sketch paper. The value range and marks worked well - like a brush wash drawing.
The last three are two 15-minute studies and a 20-minute one at bottom. I switched to 18 x 24" Canson XL Drawing paper, which is heavier and a bit more toothy. It is also quite absorbent, so the markers sopped in and dispersed out a bit, which emptied them faster.
The middle two worked best that night; the last one got into overworked territory. The experimenting was engaging, all the same.  

No comments: