Tuesday, March 27, 2012

3rd entry for Mar 23, 2012




These are a 10-minute study above and two 15-minute ones below. During the last while, my emphasis has been shifting a bit.  In moving away from newsprint, I was focusing mostly on the texture of marks and shading, with a `fluid control' being the goal.  With some degree of that control in place - at least on the Canson paper I've been using - I'm now looking at loosening up a bit, and giving more thought to how the image is composed.

There are limits to how much can be set down in 10 or 15 minutes, so there is not a lot of time to address backgrounds. The drapery in the lower image was done while C-   was taking a break. I liked this composition, but it was a bit accidental: when I started drawing, I was expecting her figure would be filling more of the space. But having the figure in the top pportion is more dynamic.

More off-centre compositions are one way to make for a more dynamic image than something that is optimally centered.

No comments: