Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Entry for Jan 10, 2012








On the Tuesday night I checked out the monthly more erotic-themed Keyhole Sessions session. They were working with a black-and-white costume theme that evening. I tried out a material I hadn't used before, Koh-I-Noor Nero drawing sticks, which are like a deluxe coloured pencil.
From the top, these are a 15-minute study of the empty stage,  a sheet with 1-minute studies of S-    ,  a 10 and a 15-minute study of S-   , two 10-minute partial studies of S-  with M-  , and a 35-minute study of A-  & M-  .

The Nero material is nice, and finer than charcoal & conte in texture, but it took a while to build up, so my drawing was slowed down. It is brittle as well, so using it on it's side rather than in its intended holder meant that it broke easily when trying to do dark shading. It's a material I might try again, but not one I fell wildly for.
The top six studies are on 18 x 24" sheets of bond and Canson Sketch paper, and the bottom one is on an 18 x 24" sheet of 90 lb Maidstone paper.

The poses offered a few out-of-the-ordinary challenges. The last long one had a little potential, but the drawing is a bit awkward, and the composition placed oddly.  It's not often one gets to draw people in such close proximity. A more partial composition would likely have imparted more of a sense of intimacy.

No comments: