Wednesday, December 28, 2011

1st entry for Dec 18, 2011





On the Sunday night, I was just wrapping up the cleanup of the TSA's Open House, so I was a little rusty and more muscle over-worked than usual.  P-   was working. I was interested to see how an underlayer of powdered charcoal might affect the drawing, so I had dusted a number of sheets just prior to the session's start.
The first three 1-minute studies and the head on the left are Progresso woodless pencil crayon on 18 x 24" sheets of bond paper. The extra charcoal powder did not render the smooth paper any more toothy, as I had hoped it might. The head study on the right is hard U-Art woodless charcoal pencil, which gave a better contrast, and meshed more with the powdered charcoal.

The heavier dusting of charcoal in the second study down and the lowest one does reveal some of the web pattern of the paper's manufacture, which isn't something I welcome.The head studies are 5 minutes each.

Z-  brought an interesting article on life drawing to my attention:
http://slgallant.wordpress.com/2011/09/18/no-bad-poses-or-revenge-of-the-model
Check it out.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I do like the look of figure drawings on toned paper. Calling attention to the paper texture is not something I had though about.