Thursday, July 14, 2011

5th Entry for June 26, 2011



I returned to the TSA that evening, where G-  was working.  These are a couple of 1-minute studies.

Gesture poses like these can begin to suggest some of the potential of bodies in action, both through body posture and through mark-making. One of the things that I find ultra-inspiring outside of life drawing is dance, especially contemporary dance.
In that regard, I heartily recommend to anyone in the Toronto area with an interest in dance to check out the Fringe Theatre Festival's dance offerings this week.

In particular I was very impressed by Bonne Compagnie's piece "ab intra" at the Tarragon Theatre mainspace.  It features a lush, darkly ambient electronic soundscape, stripped down set and three really strong dancers working with what felt to me a strongly Butoh-influenced contemporary dance vocabulary.  By turns graceful and languid, and other times edgy and disquieting and performers sometimes pushing their bodies in ways joints shouldn't ought to allow, I though it rocked.  So many powerful visual moments, and such engaged movement. You can learn more and see their performance schedule here. Don't miss it, I says!

Paul Charbonneau's piece "discharge" is presented by metamorphosis dance theatre.  I saw it last night, and felt was well worth seeing. Strong movement from the two performers, and some examining of how gender and sexual identity impact on self-image and self-valuation. You can get details from the Fringe online program here. (just scroll down to the listing).

No comments: