Friday, April 22, 2011

2nd Entry for Mar 29, 2011




(People looking for life drawing instruction - or basic perspective instruction - should take note that I have an intermediate/advanced life drawing class on Wednesday evenings starting in a few days at the TSA, and a perspective basics class on Tuesday mornings. Both run for 10 weeks, and you can get more info through the TSA website. There is still space for any interested students, and all ages of adults are welcome.)




The upper two images are done with charcoal on 18 x 24" cartridge paper, They, and the lower one are all 20-minute studies. The lower one is done with 8B graphite on Japanese paper.
I was gaining some degree of control of the charcoal in the longer poses, but my drawing was not at its best.  The pose S-  took at the end was the one I most connected with - it was an unusual angle, and lots of foreshortening and subtle values on her torso. The drawing is richer in terms of subtlety, but the graphite seems washed out beside the more intense charcoal.  Somewhere in between these two seems to lie my ideal medium.
Overall, I didn't feel it was one of my better drawing nights. I could have omitted most of these, but I think it is worth sharing some of the weak studies as well as the good ones, to underscore that you can't have one without the other.  Also, I had some personal matters that were weighing on me from the day before, which may have been part of why S-    looks particularly blue in a lot of these.

And as I've said before, anyone who knows of a 22 x 30" inexpensive acid-free cartridge paper with a nice tooth, please let me know...

No comments: