Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Entry for Dec 5, 2010



It was the week for model mix-ups. On the Sunday I found P-   ,  sitting in his briefs to fill in for someone who didn't turn up. It was that kind of week, and interesting to get to draw P-   , as I have known him  for decades, but only sketched him once or twice before.
Above are some 10-minute studies, done on 20 x 30" cartridge paper, using Prismacolor art stick. P- held the poses well. Their body language was fairly natural, which suited the boxer briefs. In one I tried to shoehorn the pose into a domestic narrative by adding a bed.




Perhaps as a response to the ordinariness of the poses, for the last couple of 15-minute poses he got more loaded in the body language and settings. I found it really striking, and regretted that I had to slip out a few minutes early. 
The stretched-out `corpse pose' was done on the cold cement floor of the studio, and  the resultant starkness and vuknerability made it one of the most dramatic visuals in a long time, for me. It is such a simple, flat pose, and as such tends to get vetoed in favour of poses with more variety in where limbs are placed, and what angles they are at. But unlike many of the images  post here, this one says `human being' more than it says `nice pose', and I find the former ultimately more compelling.

The lower two are also done on 20 x 30" cartridge paper, but I had to add an extra bit for the feet.

No comments: