Tuesday, November 16, 2010

2nd Entry for Oct 29, 2010





These were all done on some leftover sheets of Japanese paper, using the softest pencil I had on hand, a 4B graphite pencil.  They are all 10-minute and 15-minute studies.
The paper is in the 10" x 16" range.

I liked the degree of control it allowed, but no matter how flat I tried to hold the pencil to shade, it took a long time to build up any sort of dark values, even on the fairly small sheets of paper. Compared to similar studies with Conte on newsprint, they are quite delicate looking - which is not necessarily a terrible thing, but I prefer a bit more contrast in images I set down.

I did feel that of all the combinations of drawing material and papers that I tried, the soft graphite on Japanese paper did feel like it had good potential to explore further.

I have been trying some further explorations on Japanese paper since then. Some of those studies - plus some older works of mine on Japanese paper - I will have out to see at an Open House at my studio this weekend.
(Nov 20 & 21 from 1 pm to 6 pm both days.)
If you're in the Toronto area, come visit - my studio is at 165 Bathurst St, just South of Queen St. W.

No comments: