Tuesday, November 16, 2010

1st entry for Oct. 31, 2010



 

Sunday morning I came equipped with some big cartridge paper, and an oversize 4B graphite pencil on which I had shaved part of a side away, in the hopes that I could handle it more like Conte. The top page has two 5-minute studies of L-   . Middle are 10-minute studies and the lowest was 15 minutes.
The breadth of shading stroke was better, but the pencil felt bulky and ungainly. The value range was also less on the dark end.
The big sheets are 24 x 36", and the lowest one is about 12 x 15".
Because I was intending to switch over to some small sheets of leftover Japanes paper, I hadd reined in the size of the shorter studies, which took away a bit of the fun of sweeping in marks with a bold flourish.
( I believe too that these images appear a bit better if you click on the photos to get an enlargement.

No comments: