Wednesday, October 20, 2010

4th Entry for Oct. 7, 2010





After a break, we continued with some more 1-minute studies and a couple of 15-minute ones. The drawing went well in these, and in all likelihood the challenge of working in an unfamiliar scale helped with that, by getting more of my brain in gear.

One of the attendant risks of doing something a lot repeatedly is that it becomes a rote process, and loses its freshness. But at some point it's easy to get invested in something that works, and to settle for the payout that repeating that in a known way will likely assure, rather than take the chance of spoiling things.

While I am very aware of that, I have to admit to wanting a certain comfort level, a certain security of results as a way to maintain confidence. If I get to a point of satisfying that confidence (which usually takes a fairly heavy saturation of working within my comfort zone) then I start wanting to mix things up more.

though ironically, it is by taking chances that I suspect even the baseline work gets richer.

No comments: