Tuesday, October 19, 2010

3rd Entry for Oct 7, 2010




These are all 10-minute studies.

The head study was a little unusual.  I start almost any drawing of a person with their head, and add as much more of their body as the time remaining permits, once I'm satisfied with the head. Accordingly, I've settled into a small scale to draw the heads, to allow room for a full figure. I am aware, though, that more often than not, it takes most of at least 10 minutes for me to get the information down about a face. So rather than work at a cramped scale, this head filled about half of a 24  x 36 sheet of newsprint. The proportions went a bit out of whack, but it has some okay bits.

Predictable results can ensue from keeping all the terms of working consistent (size, workplace, materials, etc), and can allow one to push to ever-deeper subtle incremental improvements.  But it's always a good challenge to switch around scales and materials, to keep freshest and most versatile.

No comments: