Tuesday, May 25, 2010

6th entry for May 9, 2010






These 15-minute and 20-minute studies finished the evening. I was getting tired, and I think T- was as well. For the final pose, I think that eye strain from not wearing his glasses was affecting him, and his facial expression was cycling through a couple of different ones. I tried one unsuccessful attempt at depicting hom more at ease, but the frowning expression he would periodically return to was striking, so I decided to try to record it.
In hindsight, it has a lot of character and an unfussiness to it that are also more flattering to T- than I had thought at the time.

The lack of glasses was not T- 's idea, but a request from the person who looks after the Sunday night session. It seems that many life drawers favour having their view of people fully unimpeded, which includes eyewear. That does make drawing them slightly easier, but can be difficult for some of the models, who find it a strain to operate with impaired vision. When I teach I favour models taking off their specs, but will be more tolerant of it if the person is genuinely strssed with them off, provided it's not a class focussing on the eyes themselves.

No comments: