Sunday, October 25, 2009

2nd entry for October 18, 2009





These are studies of two 5-minute sitting poses and a 10-minute standing one. I tend to fuss with people's faces while drawing, so the amount of body depicted in any longer study is directly proportional to how easily I can set down the person's head on the page.

I feel that a person's face is the seat of a large component of their specific identity. Depicting people as very specific entities is important to me, so getting their likeness matters a lot. I wasn't having an easy time of it on the Sunday night, and most of the 10-minute studies were unsuccessful efforts to draw K- 's face to a satisfactory degree.

It is worth adding that likeness - and to a further level expression - are not the sole site of identity. Body language is a part, too. Even if all one sees is someone's back, it contributes to who they are and how that seems at that moment.

No comments: